Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Running Omens

Today I went for my first training run in weeks. I know I have waited until the last possible minute to start training for my fall races, but the martial arts and running were killing me. I have hurt in places I didn't even know could hurt! So I took a few weeks off of running and now I'm back. I have to say though, its a good thing I don't believe in omens, because today was a HORRIBLE run.

First off, no less than five ambulances went blaring by me and they were extremely LOUD, making it impossible to concentrate on Black Sabbath or Kings of Leon and get into my running groove. The track at Academy is loud- I don't like it. I think I need to find a more serene place to do my Saturday long runs. Any suggestions?

But the biggest bad omen I experienced to day was the WIND. I don't know what it was like around town at 11:00am today, but in the heights it was windy. I'm not talking about breezy or even gusts of wind. I mean constant, fierce wind that kept trying to blow my hat off and wrap my impound cord around my neck. And to make matters even worse, I was walking UPHILL and INTO it. See, I did my run on the downhill portion and ran the whole way out, thinking I'd walk back and start pacing distances. BAD IDEA. The walk back was worse than the run. It was miserable.

Luckily, for me, I don't believe in omens. So Thursday morning, I will be out there again. But I will say that if I see a black cat, a latter, or a broken mirror on the track, I may have to reconsider.

No comments: